MARLIN has been involved in the development and implementation of the 25th Street Viaduct from inception to construction to opening day! Approximately 20 years ago MARLIN began providing professional planning and engineering services to support the Miami International Airport (MIA) Survival Plan. Our task was to develop concepts for a grade separation at the railroad crossing on 25th Street between SR 826 and the MIA West Cargo Area. The feasibility study was so successfully received that the project moved into the Project, Development and Environmental phase which ultimately recommended the extended overpass. MARLIN joined Florida Department of Transportation Officials on opening day July 15, 2016, a day which will mark this significant accomplishment for Miami Dade and our regional freight network.
MARLIN’s analysis indicated that the grade separation would remove roadway/rail conflicts but reconnecting the roadway east of SR 826 would not resolve traffic/truck congestion on 25th Street and a holistic long term improvement would include extending the grade separation over SR 826 into the Doral Warehousing District.
MARLIN’s feasibility study provided outstanding technical support and was so well coordinated with stakeholders, the public and local officials, FDOT was able to enter into a Project, Development and Environment Study that was completed in 1 year recommending the extended overpass.
- MARLIN was awarded the design for this complex project and was able to successfully overcome challenges and seize opportunities:
- The design included coordinating with water management agencies to enclose approximately 1 mile of canal;
- The design was remarkably efficient in requiring only a minimal amount of right-of-way, keeping costs way down;
- Coordinated with FDOT on documenting the economic benefit of the project resulting in a #1 State Priority for Strategic Intermodal System funding; and
- Coordination with many agencies resulted in a design that constructed within budget and on-schedule.
“The magnitude of this project is by no means a one man show. The team for both projects- the East and West segments- created a positive atmosphere through trust, with a desire to work with an excellent group of designers” says Miguel Soria, MARLIN’s Senior Vice President. July 15th, 2016 was the ribbon cutting ceremony for the grand opening of NW 25th Street Viaduct. MARLIN is honored to have provided professional engineering services for this key project that will serve to greatly enhance transportation mobility in Miami-Dade County and will maintain and elevate the global competitiveness of MIA and the regional freight network for many years to come.